When there is not much time and desire to engage in the preparation of desserts with complex execution technology, it is worth using the crispy brushwood recipe. The composition of this dish includes products that are always available in the refrigerator. Due to the absence of yeast in the dough, it is not necessary to wait long for the process of walking a lush flour mass to be completed. After kneading the lean dough, you can immediately form small sticks and send them one by one to the deep fryer, where in a matter of minutes they will turn into a golden treat.
The history of the dish
The recipe for delicious brushwood has been known to most Russian culinary specialists since the beginning of the 19th century. A dish of Greek origin was in great demand among the peasants, as it did not require the addition of expensive components. Due to the external similarity of the dessert with the Kazakh chak-chak, it is often confused. In Ukraine, cooks use a simple recipe for brushwood to prepare lush verguns.
Since ancient times, the recipe for brushwood has been actively used by monks and Orthodox believers, who strictly adhere to a limited diet during fasts. At the moment, a strict Great Lent is taking place, so it’s worth taking note of a simple recipe for homemade brushwood.
A lot of time has passed since the appearance of this amazingly delicious dish on the tables of the inhabitants of Rus’. Despite the emergence of many new and varied sweets, many cooks still use the recipe for thin, crispy brushwood to this day. This delicacy has the same name with the wood material needed to light a fire, because of the tasty base crispy during consumption. So that everyone who wants to taste the taste of unusual cookies can prepare an unusual-shaped dessert without any difficulties, hozOboz decided to demonstrate step by step the recipe for brushwood with a photo.
Ingredients needed to create a delicious dessert
- selected chicken eggs – 2 pcs.;
- granulated sugar – 20 g;
- sour cream 21% fat – 200 g;
- vanilla sugar – 10 g;
- vodka – 20 g;
- premium wheat flour – 250 g;
- vegetable oil – 250 g;
- powdered sugar – 100 g.
The process of preparing a classic brushwood recipe consists of the following steps
- Place chicken eggs in a deep container and beat them with a whisk or mixer.
- Add the required amount of granulated sugar.
- Pour in the sour cream. It is preferable to use home-made dairy products with a high degree of fat content.
- Sprinkle in vanilla sugar for a heavenly flavor to any baked goods.
- Pour the required dose of vodka or food alcohol, which will make the dish crispy and well compressed.
- Pass the wheat flour through a sieve.
- Knead an elastic dough from which it will be easy to form a thin layer.
- Roll out the dough thinly.
- Using a culinary knife, make thin slices of dough.
- Make a small cut in the central part of the flour plate.
- Pass one of the ends of the pasty strip through the hole made.
- Pour vegetable oil into a saucepan or deep fryer and place on the stove.
- Gently lower the flour products into the boiling oil and quickly remove the brushwood, which is cooked for 1 minute.
- Put the dish on a paper napkin or waffle towel, due to which the excess vegetable oil is leveled. Dust generously with powdered sugar.
Variations of the lush brushwood recipe
If you want to cook a lean dish, you must exclude the addition of sour cream or milk, which is often found in the brushwood recipe. You can make similar cookies step by step, but replace the vegetable oil with an olive counterpart, and use cognac, whiskey or rum instead of vodka.
This amazingly delicious treat can be created in a different way by making a thick liquid dough with the addition of milk. By quickly pouring the liquid base of the dessert into boiling oil, you can make brushwood of any desired shape.
As a decoration of the dish, you can use icing, finely chopped nuts, coconut flakes or sweet confectionery powder.
The benefits of the dish
A recipe for brushwood with a photo will help you quickly prepare a tasty and healthy delicacy. The addition of natural sour cream, vegetable oil and wheat flour will provide an opportunity to create a dessert without the addition of preservatives and dyes, often found in industrial sweets. The only caveat is that a high-calorie flour product must be consumed in moderation. If you are not worried about the likelihood of quickly gaining extra pounds of weight, then you can safely enjoy the amazing taste of these sweets. hozOboz recommends making a double portion of the brushwood loved by many since childhood, because after the first sample of an appetizing looking and smelling freshly prepared dessert, it will quickly leave no trace on the plate.
Everyone from childhood is familiar with such a delicacy as brushwood. It is also called crabs or crunches. Whatever the name is, but the essence remains the same – this is everyone’s favorite sweet cookie. The recipe for thin and crispy brushwood is quite simple, it will not take much time, and the necessary products will always be found in the kitchen.
It is important to note that the secret to crispy brushwood is the addition of some strong alcohol. This will absolutely not affect the taste of the product, but will only give it the desired structure.
You will need:
- one glass of flour
- two eggs
- one large spoonful of vodka
1. Lather the eggs, add salt and vodka. While stirring, add flour. The dough should be elastic, only slightly remain on the hands.
2. Roll out the dough should be about two millimeters thick. For convenience, you can first divide the resulting dough into an arbitrary number of fragments and work with each separately. The taste of brushwood may depend on the thickness.
3. Make small rectangles from the dough so that a few pieces fit freely in the pan. In the middle of everyone, make a slit and turn the corners through it.
4. On a preheated pan, abundantly poured with oil, lay out several blanks and fry until a blush appears.
You can cook crispy brushwood even in a saucepan, as in a kind of deep fryer. Then more oil will be required so that it completely covers the rectangles. The dough in this case should be as thin as possible, but the cooking time will be reduced to 30 seconds.
5. It is advisable to blot the products with paper to get rid of excess oil.
6. The final step is to decorate with powdered sugar.
II. Thin crispy brushwood, recipe with sour cream
Baking with the addition of dairy products is common. Be it milk, kefir, sour cream or cream. All of them give the dough richness and elasticity. Let’s analyze the recipe for brushwood with sour cream.
- two chicken eggs
- two large spoons of sour cream (the fatter it is, the better)
- two large spoons of sugar
- salt (at the tip of a knife)
- four teaspoons of vodka
- one glass of flour
In addition to vodka, whiskey or cognac is suitable for use in dough.
1. Put sour cream to beaten eggs, stir in vodka, sugar and a little salt. Pour in the flour while continuing to stir. The density of the dough should be strong enough.
2. Roll out the dough. You can pre-divide the resulting dough into several fragments and work with each separately.
3. Cut out rectangles about 10 centimeters long, make a hole in the middle of each and pull the corners through it. The more times you turn the rectangle, the more curly the brushwood will turn out, the main thing is not to overdo it.
4. Put several blanks on a preheated pan and fry in a large amount of oil until golden brown.
5. Wipe the brushwood with a napkin and put it on a dish.
Compared to the previous recipe, brushwood from sour cream dough will be more fluffy and tender, while the classic one will be more crispy.
Although vodka has been mentioned as an ingredient required to make this cookie crunchy, there are still ways to make it without alcohol. For example, on kefir.
- one egg
- two large spoons of vegetable oil
- a little salt (at the tip of a knife)
- half a teaspoon of baking soda
- three glasses of flour
- three large spoons of sugar
- one glass of kefir
- vanilla sugar (optional)
1. Foam the egg, mix it with salt, sugar, soda, pour kefir and vegetable oil. Without ceasing to interfere, pour flour. The dough according to this recipe will be better if you put it in a warm corner for 20 minutes.
2. Roll out the dough to a thickness of about two millimeters.
3. Divide it into rectangular slices, make a longitudinal cut in each and turn the edges of each rectangle through the hole.
4. Put several blanks on a hot frying pan with a high level of oil and fry until golden brown. There must be sufficient space between the blanks, otherwise they may stick together, increasing in size during frying.
5. Blot the brushwood with a napkin and serve, decorating with powdered sugar.
Baking according to this recipe will be even more airy due to the use of kefir and soda.
IV. Brushwood in milk (no alcohol added)
Another variation of the preparation of treats will require a little milk.
- two large spoons of milk
- two eggs
- one and a half large tablespoons of vegetable oil
- one hundred grams of sugar
- a little salt (at the tip of a knife)
- five hundred grams of flour
1. Foam the eggs, mix them in a bowl with milk and vegetable oil, add sugar and salt. Pour in the flour and stir until a lump-free mass appears. The dough will not stick to your hands due to the use of oil.
2. Make a thin layer of dough.
3. Divide it into small rectangles, make holes in the middle and turn the edges through them.
4. Fry on both sides until a blush forms.
5. Remove excess oil with a paper towel and serve sprinkled with powdered sugar.
You can also decorate brushwood with cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut flakes – everything that you can get in the kitchen. This delicious and rather simple recipe for thin and crispy brushwood will decorate any tea party, even the most festive one.
“Khvorost” is a special type of cookie that many people have known since childhood. This confectionery got its name because of the amazing external resemblance to dry fallen tree branches. Depending on the technology of preparation, the dough for “Khvorost” can be liquid or steep. It directly depends on whether the cookies will be fluffy or crispy.
“Khvorost” is the most popular version of home baking. It is often prepared by many mothers and grandmothers to please their babies with an unusual delicacy. The technology of preparing a dish includes several stages, among which, perhaps the most important is kneading the dough.
To make it at home, the following ingredients are traditionally used:
- 160 grams of wheat flour;
- 5 grams of table salt;
- 2 eggs;
- 125 grams of sugar;
- 7 – 8 grams of table vinegar;
- 35 grams of vegetable (sunflower or corn) refined oil;
- ½ sachet of vanilla sugar.
How to properly prepare the dough for “Khvorost”:
- Sift flour. This must be done so that during kneading it is less clumpy.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs with sugar, oil, salt and vinegar with a whisk.
- As soon as the mass becomes sufficiently homogeneous, you can begin to introduce flour. This must be done in batches.
- Roll the finished dough into a ball.
- Cover it with a towel or napkin and leave it on the table for about half an hour.
Instead of fabric, you can use cling film. It will also prevent the dough from winding and drying out.
To make curly cookies tender and airy, it is better to make dough for “Khvorost” on kefir.
In this case, you will need:
- 1 egg;
- 480 grams of flour;
- 300 milliliters of kefir;
- 60 grams of sugar and the same amount of butter;
- 7.5 grams of baking soda;
- 5 grams of vanillin;
- some salt.
Such a dough must be prepared in stages:
- Break the egg, and then carefully grind it with salt, sugar and vanilla.
- Add soda.
- Pour everything with kefir and mix well.
- Add oil. Before that, it must be slightly melted.
- Introduce parts of pre-sifted flour.
- Cover the finished dough with a clean cloth and leave to proof.
The semi-finished product is a little sticky, but tender and soft. It rolls well and cuts easily.
Cooking with milk
According to experts, for “Khvorost” it is best to make dough in milk.
To do this, you will need the most common products in the following quantities:
- 320 grams of wheat flour;
- half a glass of sugar;
- 2 large eggs;
- a pinch of salt;
- 40 grams of whole milk;
- 25 grams of sunflower oil (odorless).
Semi-finished product preparation method:
- Beat eggs well in a bowl with sugar. Continue the process until all the crystals are dissolved.
- Add milk, salt and add butter. Mix the resulting mass thoroughly.
- Pouring flour in small portions, gradually knead an elastic and sufficiently elastic dough.
In this case, the maturation process is excluded. Fresh dough can be immediately rolled out and start shaping blanks.
Liquid dough for brushwood
Ready “Khvorost” can have a different shape. There is one very interesting recipe, according to which the popular cookie is made in the form of an openwork grid. To do this, the dough should be as liquid as possible.
To prepare it, you will need:
- 1 cup of wheat flour and the same amount of whole milk;
- 4 eggs;
- 50 grams of sugar.
How to make batter for “Khvorost”:
- After breaking the eggs, separate the yolks and grind them thoroughly with sugar. Continue until the last grains disappear.
- Pour the sweet egg mass with milk and mix well. You can act with an ordinary tablespoon.
- Pour the prepared composition into flour. Continue stirring until the mixture is truly homogeneous.
- Beat the whites separately with a whisk in a stable dense foam.
- Add them to the batter and mix gently. Here, intensive actions must be avoided so as not to destroy the airy consistency of the mass.
After that, you should immediately start molding cookies until the dough has settled. It must be poured in a thin stream into boiling fat using a pastry bag in different directions. It turns out the original crispy biscuits of a very unusual shape for Khvorost.
The crunchiest baking base
In order for the finished “Khvorost” to be crispy, the dough must be made as steep as possible, and then rolled out as thin as possible.
This result is easy to achieve if you do not use eggs, but take mineral water as a liquid base.
It turns out the original lean “Khvorost”, for the preparation of which you need to take:
- 300 grams of wheat flour;
- 50 grams of sugar;
- 100 milliliters of mineral water and the same amount of vegetable oil;
- a quarter teaspoon of baking powder;
- some lemon zest.
The dough for crispy “Khvorost” is prepared very simply:
- Grind sugar well in a bowl with vegetable oil.
- Separately combine baking powder with flour. After that, add mineral water and mix so that there are no lumps.
- Introduce butter pounded with sugar and knead the dough well. If it is too viscous, then you can add about 20 – 30 grams of flour.
Continue machining until the mass becomes soft and elastic.
Unusual recipe with vodka
There are many other ways to make “Khvorost” crunchy. For example, during kneading, you can add a little of any alcohol-containing drink (vodka, cognac or rum) to the dough.
This method is well known to experienced cooks.
To prepare such a dough for “Khvorost”, you need to take:
- 2 eggs;
- 0.38 kilograms of wheat flour;
- 30 milliliters of vodka (or cognac);
- a pinch of salt.
Technique for preparing dough with alcohol:
- Break the eggs into a deep bowl and beat them well into a foam, adding a little salt.
- Pour in vodka and mix well.
- Slowly add flour. This must be done with constant stirring. The dough should be quite dense, but a little sticky. By consistency, it will be similar to that from which ordinary noodles are made.
- Place the semi-finished product in a bag and keep it in a cool place for about 30 minutes.
You need to roll out such a dough in parts, as it dries very quickly in the open air.
Sour cream dough for brushwood
If you want to cook “Khvorost” with a lush and airy crumb, then knead the dough well on sour cream.
For such a recipe, you will need products that are almost always at hand in the kitchen:
- 300 – 400 grams of wheat flour;
- 100 grams of sugar;
- 2 eggs;
- 150 – 200 grams of sour cream;
- a little drinking soda;
- a dash of vanilla.
To make such a dough for “Khvorost”, you need:
- Crack the eggs into a deep bowl.
- Add sour cream with sugar to them and mix. Then beat the resulting mass with a whisk.
- Pour a little salt and soda into the sifted flour.
- Add this mixture in parts to the sour cream and egg mass, stirring constantly. The finished dough should not stick to your hands.
- Place the semi-finished product in a bag and send it to the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Soft and pliable dough rolls out well. In order for the finished product to be lush, the layer must be made at least 5 millimeters thick.
Homemade pastry “hvorost” is deep-fried and is a crispy biscuit. However, among the wide variety of confectionery and bakery products, urama (the most famous Tatar name) is slightly forgotten. It seems it’s time to recall the traditional recipe for making brushwood.
History of appearance
The name arose due to the resemblance to thin tree branches, and the pastry itself came from the Greeks. However, no one knows when and who exactly invented the delicacy. But in Russia “brushwood” appeared in the 18th century.
Later, the delicacy recipe spread to Ukraine, where a variety of delicacy options arose. And then again, but in a slightly modified form, “brushwood” returned to the territory of Russia.
Initially, the product was popular among peasants. Soon, crispy biscuits “settled” in the menu of city dwellers. Due to the availability and cheapness of the products used in the recipe, the “faggots” were prepared by poor people. Since there are no animal fats in the delicacy, monks used it during fasting.
In the 20th century, the product was made from unleavened dough, and it became sweet thanks to the powdered sugar used as decoration.
Prepared from two types of dough: steep and liquid. In the first case, milk is added, and the finished mixture is poured into the oil in parts. Sometimes a special form for baking “brushwood” is used.
When kneading steep dough, a minimum of liquid is required. Then it is rolled out and cut with a sharp knife.
“Khvorost” is prepared:
- on kefir;
- from cottage cheese;
- from unleavened dough;
- on milk.
Regardless of the consistency of the dough and the liquid ingredients used, the brushwood always turns out crunchy.
Baking “brushwood” at home
Urama is a Tatar variety of dessert, which is formed in the form of a spiral.
- extra salt – 4 g;
- chicken eggs (medium size) – 4 pcs.;
- any vegetable oil – 500 ml;
- melted butter – 15 ml;
- flour – 1 kg;
- milk – 1 tbsp.;
- sugar – 35 g.
Baking on kefir and water
The recipe on the water is recognized as a real lifesaver among housewives. The popularity is due to the fact that a delicacy can be prepared at a time when the refrigerator is almost empty, and there is no way to go to the grocery store.
- boiled water – 200 ml (pre-cool);
- oil – 300 ml;
- eggs – 2 pcs.;
- a pinch of table salt;
- granulated sugar – 75 g;
- premium flour – 2 tbsp.
Step by step workflow:
Baking “brushwood” (recipes are similar in cooking technology) on kefir is no less common. The advantage is that pizza and pies can be baked from the same dough.
Required ingredients for the recipe:
- kefir – 400 ml;
- granulated sugar – 5 tbsp. l.;
- baking soda – 3 g;
- any vegetable oil – 45 ml;
- flour – 800 g;
- packaging of vanilla sugar;
- eggs – 2 pcs.;
- salt – 4 g.
Step by step cooking technology:
Despite the fact that baking “brushwood” is light and almost weightless, the calorie content of the product varies from 300 to 600 kcal. Therefore, it is not recommended to consume a delicacy in large quantities.
But if the desire to eat a large portion is stronger than the will, stick to the little tricks that are presented below.
Secrets of cooking the right “brushwood”
Stick to the recipe, as well as all the tips, and your brushwood pastry will always taste perfect, and most importantly, crispy.
Brushwood occupies one of the first places in popularity. People of different generations call it a delicacy from childhood, and the recipes for making dessert were carefully preserved in home cookbooks. Let’s remember the classic recipe, as well as others, the most delicious and interesting.
Brushwood in milk
And this recipe came to us from sunny Uzbekistan. As you can see, the cuisines of the peoples of the world are often similar and have common dishes – of course, the most delicious! Like this brushwood – crispy, sweet, ruddy. To enjoy them, take: half a kilogram of flour, 3-4 eggs, half a glass of milk, a little salt, sugar to taste, vegetable oil for frying and powdered sugar.
Combine flour, milk and eggs, salt and sugar and knead the dough. Cover it and soak for half an hour. Then roll into thin layers, cut into strips, form “eights” and fry in a cast iron. Sprinkle the finished brushwood with powdered sugar and eat to your health!
Brushwood on liquid dough
Recipe for brushwood with sour cream
By the way, according to this recipe, you can bake cookies in the oven. To do this, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In the absence of it, use ordinary sheets designed for printing on a printer. Just generously oil them. Lay the cookies, brushing each one with vegetable oil as well. And send it to the preheated oven. Bake until cooked, determining it by the color of the dough. The result will please you: baked brushwood is as tasty as fried!
Step by step preparation:
- Pour the flour onto the countertop and make a recess in the slide into which you beat the egg. Mix well.
- Add salt and soda slaked with vinegar.
- Pour in milk and vodka.
- Knead the dough to a stiff consistency. Wrap it in a plastic bag and send it in the refrigerator for half an hour to give the product plasticity.
- Make a flat cake from the dough and place parchment on it.
- Roll out the cake thinly, about 1.5 mm. and give it any shape.
- Heat the oil in a deep bowl to 200 degrees and fry the cookies until light golden brown.
- Place cookies on paper towel to remove excess oil and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
There is nothing tastier than cookies from childhood, baked according to the good and old recipe of our grandmothers. Cookies on the water – a simple and inexpensive dessert that will bring a lot of fun to the whole family!
- Flour – 2 tbsp.
- Boiled chilled water – 1 tbsp.
- Eggs – 2 pcs.
- Sugar – 5 tablespoons
- Will – pinch
- Vegetable oil – for deep frying
Step by step preparation:
- Pour eggs into a bowl, add sugar and a pinch of salt. Whip the ingredients lightly until smooth.
- Pour in water and shake everything again.
- Gradually sift the flour through a fine sieve, while kneading a thick, elastic and soft dough.
- Put the dough on the table, sprinkle with flour and roll out with a rolling pin 7-8 mm thick.
- Cut the flour semi-finished product with a knife into rhombuses 5-7 cm long, 1-2 cm wide.
- In the middle of each piece, make a 1 cm incision, into which we pass one edge.
- Pour the oil into a deep bowl and heat. Dip a batch of brushwood into it so that the flour bows are completely covered with oil and fry them for 2-3 minutes until a yellow-beige crust on each side.
- Move the brushwood to a paper towel and cool.
- Eggs – 2 pcs.
- Vodka – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Flour – to tough dough
- Vegetable oil – for deep frying
- Sugar – for sprinkling
Step by step preparation:
- Break eggs into a bowl, add flour, add a pinch of salt and pour in vodka.
- Knead the batter and add flour, bringing it to a steep consistency. The dough should not stick to your hands.
- Cover it with polyethylene and let stand for half an hour.
- Then roll out a thin sheet until transparent and cut into rounds or form products of any other shape.
- Heat the vegetable oil well and deep-fry the brushwood for about 1 minute until a beautiful, golden color.
Note: if the product is frying faster, then the oil is very hot. Then the cookies will start to burn and will not be crispy. Too cold oil will not allow the product to exfoliate.
“Khvorost”, “verguns”, “crunches” are all the same tasty and simple cookies. Check out this easy yet savory recipe.
- Eggs – 2 pcs.
- Cognac – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – 2 pinches
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Flour – 1 tbsp.
- Vegetable oil – for frying (about 300 ml)
Step by step preparation:
- Beat the eggs into a bowl, pour in the cognac, add salt and sugar and mix.
- Gradually add the sifted flour and knead a stiff dough. Pour flour until the moment when the dough stops sticking to your hands.
- Roll out the dough as thin as possible, about 1 mm, until almost translucent, and cut it into narrow strips.
- Heat the oil well and lower the brushwood to fry. In the process of frying, turn it over so that it acquires a golden color on all sides.
- Place the finished crisps on a paper towel to remove excess fat. Then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
The taste of childhood is crispy brushwood cooked with sour cream. This is the perfect pastry, reminiscent of rich buns and at the same time airy and crispy sticks.
- Eggs – 2 pcs.
- Sour cream – 2 tbsp.
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Whiskey – 2 tablespoons
- Flour – 2 tbsp.
- Sugar – 4 tablespoons
- Salt – 0.5 tsp
- Odorless vegetable oil – for deep frying
Step by step preparation:
- Pour the eggs into a bowl and beat with a whisk.
- Add sour cream, vanilla, sugar, pour in alcohol and beat until smooth.
- Sift the flour to the resulting mass and knead with your hands until a consistency similar to dumplings dough. Cover it with a towel and leave for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough thinly and cut into strips, from which make a pigtail.
- Pour oil into a bowl and heat. Spread a portion of brushwood and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Put the fried brushwood on a paper napkin so that droplets of oil are absorbed and sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar through a fine sieve.
Home brushwood is a nostalgic theme. This is one of the iconic Soviet cookies, which has given way to popular desserts: strudel, muffins, cheesecakes, pancakes. But light sadness for Sunday family tea parties and carefree times returns the true taste of the product.
- Flour – 350 g
- Sugar – 50 g
- Powdered sugar – 50 g
- Butter – 50 g
- Eggs – 2 pcs.
- Sour cream – 100 g
- Vinegar 9% – 10 ml
- Vanillin – 5 g
- Vegetable oil – 200 ml
Step by step preparation:
- Sift flour and mix with cold butter chopped into crumbs.
- Shake the chilled eggs and add sugar. Beat the products with sugar until the mass doubles.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour with butter and add the vinegar. Knead the dough until air bubbles form.
- Cover the dough with a bag and leave in the cold for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the chilled dough to a thickness of 5 mm. Cut it into any shape with a knife.
- Pour oil into a frying pan and heat it up. Dip a few cookies into it and fry until golden. Turn it over with a slotted spoon so that the crisps are evenly fried on all sides.
- Put the finished brushwood on paper napkins and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Kefir brushwood can be attributed to the classic recipe. It will take you no more than 35 minutes to prepare it, and at the same time you will get an amazingly tasty treat for the dessert table.
- Flour – 400 g
- Kefir – 250 ml
- Eggs – 1 pc.
- Sugar – 50 g
- Powdered sugar – 40 g
- Soda – 0.25 tsp
- Salt – 0.25 tsp
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp.
Step by step preparation:
- Sift flour into a bowl, beat in eggs, add soda and pour in 1.5 tbsp. vegetable oil. Then add kefir, sugar and soda.
- Knead the dough until smooth, wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the chilled dough into a thin layer about 4 ml. Cut the resulting layer into strips of 5 cm. In the middle of each strip, make an incision and turn one edge of the dough through it.
- Fry the brushwood in a well-heated vegetable oil until golden brown.
- Put the finished product on a paper towel, cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
The classic recipe for Khvorost (Pastry straws) in milk at home is a truly homemade pastry familiar to us since childhood. There are several recipes for making Khvorost, today we will consider the most popular – the classic recipe. Such Khvorost is prepared quickly, and eaten even faster.
Children love it very much, and adults will not mind eating it. From a small amount of products, a whole dish of sunny, homemade pastries for tea is obtained.
: 70 minutes.
Let’s prepare simple products:
- flour – 400 g;
- yolks – from 3 eggs;
- sugar – 1 tbsp;
- sour cream – 1 tbsp;
- salt – ¼ tsp;
- milk – ½ cup (125 ml);
- powdered sugar – ½ cup (for dusting);
- cognac or vodka – 2 tbsp. (or optional);
- vegetable oil – for deep fat.
1. We prepare all the products according to the list.
2. We take out the flour in advance so that it warms up, be sure to sift it. This will fill the flour with oxygen and clean out the screenings, if any.
3. Transfer the yolks to a large bowl and mix them with a whisk. Beating with a mixer or blender is not necessary.
4. Add salt and sugar to the yolks, cognac if desired, and also put sour cream and pour milk.
5. Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
6. Add flour in portions to the resulting mixture. We mix everything with a whisk, we try to break all the lumps.
7. Add flour, continue to knead in a bowl, as long as it is possible to do this with a whisk.
8. When it becomes difficult to knead the dough in a bowl, it is necessary to transfer the batch to the work surface. We cover the countertop with flour, lay out the dough, sprinkle with flour on top too. We begin to knead the dough with our hands. At first, the dough will be liquid, it sticks to your hands and the table, but you must not stop kneading it and adding flour. More than the specified amount of flour should not be added.
9. Knead the dough with your hands for seven to ten minutes. During this time, we got a soft, elastic bun, which holds its shape well and has practically ceased to stick.
10. One of the good tricks when kneading such a dough is to cut the dough into two parts. As a rule, in the middle the dough is always softer, and during rolling into a thin layer, unpleasant surprises can arise. We cut the dough into two parts, it is clear that in the middle the dough is smooth, but soft. We collect two parts into one and continue to knead.
11. We again got a homogeneous bun. The dough needs to rest for forty minutes. We leave the dough on the table and cover it with a bowl, from drafts.
12. After forty minutes, the dough rested, became homogeneous, soft. Let’s start molding Khvorost. To do this, you need a rolling pin to roll the dough into a thin layer, the thinner it is rolled out, the more crispy the Khvorost will turn out. We will also prepare a pizza cutter to cut out different shapes. We will cover the tabletop with vegetable oil, since we will also fry brushwood in oil. If the Khvorost is in flour, then during frying it will burn, and deep-frying will quickly become clogged.
13. The dough was rolled out thinly, with the help of a round cutting, we cut out circles. We need to cut them out in multiples of three, next it will be clear why.
14. We will form three-layer roses from round blanks. To do this, cut each circle into five parts. Particular attention – do not cut, but only make cuts.
15. Next, fold the circles so that the cuts do not match. In the middle of the circle we make a recess with a wooden stick, so we fix the three blanks together.
16. Cut the rest of the dough into diamonds – this will be the classic form of brushwood. Make a small incision in the middle of each diamond.
17. Through this incision we turn the dough once or twice and get such pretzels that we have known since childhood.
18. From the rest of the dough, roll out a thin layer again and cut the strips again with a pizza cutter. We make cuts on both sides of the strip and we get such branches. And if you make cuts on only one side of the strip, and then wrap it a couple of turns (no more, since it will be very thick and the dough will not fry), you get another version of the rose.
19. Deep fryer must be heated very strongly. We lower brushwood in small batches. There should be enough oil so that at first the dough sinks, and only when it is fried, the brushwood floats to the surface. First, roast the roses.
20. Next are other roses. This is what they look like from one side.
21. And so, when the roses turned over.
22. Now fry the rest of the Khvorost.
23. To remove excess oil, spread the brushwood on paper towels. So let it cool down completely.
24. We decorate the “rose” brushwood with raisins or currant berries. “Roses” and “twigs” are crushed with powdered sugar and served on one dish, like a composition. Even for tea party guests, this will be an interesting serving.
25. Classic Khvorost will be very interesting if cooked in different sizes. In addition, you can cut out small diamonds from the dough and do not cut in the middle.
26. A huge dish of brushwood of various shapes, sprinkled with powdered sugar, will always delight both kids and adults.
I recommend cooking Khvorost in milk according to the classic recipe. Your family will be grateful to you.
Here is a full guide on how to complete Tricky Doors walkthrough level 4 puzzle game, which is called Floating Islands.
Tricky Doors is a puzzle game where the aim of the game is to escape the room by completing different mini-puzzles and finding objects in the rooms to help you. This game is available to download and play on the Nintendo Switch, Android and iOS devices and is a free to play game.
There are new levels that are still being released and we will do our best to create the walkthroughs/guides to help you complete the sections you may need some help on as quickly as possible. This article will show you how to complete the fourth level of the game, which is called Floating Islands.
Here is our Tricky Doors Walkthrough Level 4 Guide:
“On the horizon, you can see the seas, mountains and plains. You are floating on an island, hundreds of meters above the ground. When you understand it, the earth goes from under your feet. It seems that the islands are not inhabited. Even though, it seems that someone lived here before. Does it mean there is a way out of here?”
- Hook and knife – can be found by clicking on the circle of rocks where you will see both of these items once it has zoomed in.
- Handle – on the seat of the swing.
- Brushwood – in front of the tree on the left.
- Brushwood – on top of the anvil on the right.
- Wire and shackle – when you click on the grindstone on the right, it will make the image bigger and you can see wire at the back. The shackle just under the wire.
I have highlighted where you can find all of these objects in the image below to help you to locate them if you are having some trouble:
There is also a note that reads,
“These islands have everything we need. These are ideal conditions for farming. A working mill for my brother, the miller. A strong stove for the big brother, the baker. The water in the spring nearby is unusual. The plants watered with it grow fantastically quickly, it is very convenient.
As long as we are unites, we are safe here. I’m glad we found these islands. I would like to settle here for a long time, to take a break from our wanderings on the earth. We are tired of cataclysms. The world seems friendlier here.”
Now you can go back to the grindstone and add the handle to the side. You can now use the knife on it to sharpen it and then use this knife on the swing in order to get some rope. This rope can be attached to the hook you have in your inventory to make a rope with hook.
This can then be used on what looked to be a ladder to me before, but turns out to be a bridge which is used to go to the next location for this level. There are a few items you can collect from here, which are:
- Brushwood – on top of the cabinet on the left.
- Brushwood – in front of the chest on the right.
- Fabric – you can use your knife on the fabric hanging on the tower on the right.
- Matches – can be found by clicking on the middle stone piece and it is in the right corner.
- Oven fork, oil, bucket and one of the halves of the mill – click on the stove under the small tower with the fabric and you will find all four items around and in the stove.
Here is where you can find all of these items:
You can now use the wire to pick the lock on the chest on the right and this will reveal a mini-game for you to play. The aim of the game is to lower the boards with characters so that the number of characters on the outside of the device matches the number of characters in the hint.
The images on the boards may be different from ours, so we cannot give a step-by-step guide on how to complete it, but the game is essentially asking you to make it so that there are 10 boxes and 10 flowers showing on the board. Here is the solution we had:
Once you have completed the puzzle, you will be able to collect a box and dynamite. There is also a note you can click on, which reads:
“We grew a huge bean vine to get to big brother faster. He hasn’t been himself lately. He wants to go back to earth. Raving about the legend that some tribes used to live on these islands, and they moved on fire birds. He says he even knows how to tame one of these birds.
Even if it’s true, my brother and I like it here, and we’re not going anywhere. I don’t know why he even thought about it.”
The next step is to go back to the first scene you started in and you can add the shackle to the bucket, both of which are in your inventory. You then want to add the dynamite to the rock in the middle and use the matches to blow it up. This will reveal some water, which you can use the bucket on in order to get a bucket full of water in your inventory. You can also click on the other half of the mill which is in the water.
You can now use the halves of the mill on the box, which will open up to reveal a new mini-game. The aim of the game is to arrange all of the mills in the places corresponding to the color of their blades. It looks like the puzzle is the same for everyone so we will give you the full instructions on how to complete it below.
The first blade you need to get into position is the pink one of the left side. Keep clicking on the blade until it is in position. The next one you want to move is the dark blue one. You can then click on the cyan one in the middle to bring it down to the correct position. You can then choose to complete either the right side or the left side first. From the left side, you will need to position them in order of yellow, light green and red. From the right side, you need to place the orange, dark green and then the purple in the correct places.
This will complete the puzzle and open the box to reveal some items, but the only one you can add to your inventory are beans found in the top left corner of the box. You then need to click on the ladder to go back to the second scene, where you will see some vines in the background. Click on this to see it clearer and here you will need to plant the beans and water it with the bucket of water. This will make a vine path to the the other island but you will need to use the knife on the leaf to add the bean tree leaf to your inventory. You can then back out and click on the vine to take you across to the other side.
Here you can collect a few items to add to your inventory which are:
- Brushwood – one can be found on the pathway located on the right side of the screen
- Brushwood – the other one can be found on the barrel on the right of the skeleton.
- Bag, crystal and spouted grain – at the back by the end of the pathway click on the bags. You can click on the bag on the back of the bench on the left to collect it. You need to use the knife from your inventory on the red bag to open it. You will find a crystal in the bag and you can click on the sprouted grain that falls to the ground when you cut the bag open to add it to your inventory.
- Crystal and eggs – you can find another crystal in the bird nest on the back of the airship. Use the oven fork to bring it closer and click on the crystal in the nest to add it to your inventory, as well as the eggs.
Here is where you can find these items in the image below:
If you click on the skeleton which is propped outside the airship, you can read the note in its hand, which reads:
As for me, nothing good is waiting for us here. I will save my brothers, even against their will. I know that if I bake bread according to a certain recipe and leave it on a pedestal, a fire bird will come and take us away from here. My brother, the baker, has a lot of bread recipes, but he doesn’t want to show them to me. At night, I snick into his island and stole the right one. It remains only to find the ingredients.”
You will need to click on the other arm, which will remove it to show a metal box. The oil from your inventory can be used on the screws of this box to open it and reveal another mini-game. The aim of the game is to connect the dots of the same color to each other. On cells with a bridge you can drawn two lines (on it and under it).
Unfortunately, there are a few different variations of this puzzle, so we cannot give a step-by-step guide on how to complete it.
Once you have completed the puzzle, the box will reveal a new compartment where you can add a key and a recipe page for the bread mentioned in the note from before. You can now use your knife on the flowers in the middle to add forget-me-nots to your inventory.
You will then have to go back to the previous scene in order to use the key on the on the wardrobe on the left. This will reveal a hammer and crystal you can collect, which should be the last of the three crystals you need. If you go back to the airship, you can now use the hammer on the item behind the barrel. This will give you nails and another piece of fabric.
The fabric can now be used on the windmill in the back. You need to click on the fabric again so that it goes over the rotor blade and you can then use the nails and the hammer to secure the fabric.
Once you have done that, you will need to go back to the very first scene. Here you can add the sprouted grain on the mud in the front right side of the screen to plant them. You then want to use the hammer on the flap by the water to move it down. This will make the grain grow and you can use the bag to put on the floor and use the knife to cut the grain. This will add the grain to the bag, which you can now add to your inventory.
The next step is to go back to the scene with the airship and using the bag of grain on the windmill to make flour. You can now add the water, bean tree elf, blue flower (forget-me-nots), eggs and flour to the recipe page to get the baking ingredients to combine. You want to go back to the stove in the previous scene and you can add the ingredients here. The brushwood can be added to the bottom of the stove and the matches can then be used to light it.
- Bean tree leaf
- Blue flowers
Now the bread has been made, you can click on mechanism in from of the gate with the wings. The crystals can be added to this and you need to set the values corresponding to the number of birds drawn on the island everywhere, and activate the mechanism. The numbers are 2, 3 and 4 and you then need to click on the middle bar underneath for it to activate.
The doors will then open and you will need to place the bread on top of the contraption. This will release a fire bird, as stated in the note, which you can click on in order to complete the level!
Hey, I’m Brianna
Owner and Creative Director
What started out as a creative medium for dealing with loss, my love for flowers grew into an ever unravelling curiosity to learn and create. Whilst already working as a High School teacher through the week, I spent my Saturdays stepping back into the classroom as a student to learn about the wonderful world of floristry.
If I’m not floralling up a wedding, you can find me cooking from a Yottam Ottolenghi recipe, sharing meals with friends, cuddling my baby or snowboarding down a mountain with my husband.
The Brushwood Vision
The Brushwood Aesthetic
At Brushwood Floral Design our vision is to create thoughtful designs with you with you in mind. We seek to provide superior service, fine quality and we are dedicated to the details. We love building beautiful spaces that have been curated specifically for you.
The Brushwood aesthetic is centred around loosely structured floral arrangements, large scale installations with pops of colour. We love sourcing rambling foliages and mixing them with premium and seasonal blooms. As we also have a large selection of styling items, we absolutely adore creating abundant tablescapes which are a feast for the eyes! Think lush compotes filled with dancing blooms, bud vase clusters, pops of fruit, an assortment of candles in complimenting tones and dreamy draping premium fabrics.
We love these venues, and have lots of experience working at them.
Ottimo House Denham Court
The Bendooley Estate Book Barn
Audley Dance Hall
Milton Park Country House
Three Blue Ducks Roseberry
Olivello Gregory Hills
The Stables at Bendooley Estate