Coffee Cake Recipe: A Delicious Treat from Sallys Baking Addiction
Do you love the aroma of freshly brewed coffee in the morning? How about the mouthwatering taste of a homemade cake? Combine these two delights, and youve got a coffee cake! In this article, we will explore a delectable coffee cake recipe from the much-beloved blog, Sallys Baking Addiction. Get ready to tantalize your taste buds as we guide you through each step of creating this delightful treat.
The Perfect Combination of Flavors
To make this coffee cake, you will need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
Preparing the Batter
- Start by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C) and greasing a round cake pan with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set this dry mixture aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients, alternating with the sour cream. Begin and end with the dry mixture.
- Finally, pour in the brewed coffee and stir until the batter is smooth and well combined.
Creating the Streusel Topping
1. In a small bowl, prepare the streusel topping by combining:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- Use your fingers or a pastry cutter to blend the ingredients together until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Assembling and Baking the Coffee Cake
- Pour half of the batter into the greased cake pan.
- Sprinkle half of the streusel topping evenly over the batter.
- Add the remaining batter on top, followed by the remaining streusel.
- Use a butter knife or a toothpick to gently swirl the layers together for a marbled effect.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, allow the coffee cake to cool before serving. You can enjoy it warm or at room temperature.
Indulge in the irresistible combination of coffee and cake with Sallys Baking Addictions delicious coffee cake recipe. With its moist texture, delightful streusel topping, and a hint of brewed coffee, this treat is perfect for any occasion. Whether youre serving it for breakfast, brunch, or dessert, this coffee cake is sure to impress your family and friends. So, put on your apron and get ready to create a delightful masterpiece that will satisfy your cravings!
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Can I use instant coffee instead of brewed coffee for this recipe?
- Absolutely! If you dont have brewed coffee on hand, you can dissolve 1 tablespoon of instant coffee in 1/4 cup of hot water as a suitable substitute.
Can I use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour?
- While whole wheat flour can be used, keep in mind that it will result in a denser, slightly heavier cake. If you prefer a lighter texture, sticking to all-purpose flour is recommended.
Can I freeze this coffee cake?
- Yes, you can freeze this coffee cake! Once it has cooled completely, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then place it in an airtight container or freezer bag. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
What other variations can I try with this coffee cake?
- If youre feeling adventurous, you can add chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or even a swirl of caramel to the batter to elevate the flavor profile.
Can I substitute sour cream with another ingredient?
- If you dont have sour cream on hand, you can use plain yogurt or buttermilk as a substitute. These alternatives will provide the required moisture and tanginess to the cake.
So go ahead, grab your apron, and embark on the delightful journey of baking your very own coffee cake with this amazing recipe from Sallys Baking Addiction!