How do Russians make an incredible caramel sauce by boiling cans?
Why would anyone ever simmer sweet condensed milk while still in its can? You’ll be surprised what Russians do in order to make the delicious sauce that’s their favorite filling for many desserts!
Sweet condensed milk (sgushyonka) is very popular in Russia, but it’s not a Russian invention. It was first made in France and the U.S. in the 19th century. Since Soviet times, however, it’s been one of the most popular ingredients for sweet sauces and desserts.
The production of sweet condensed milk started in Russia in 1881 in the city of Orenburg, but the product was not popular and the factory had to close. Only in the early 20th century did production revive due to military needs since canned milk could be stored for a year in any condition and could quickly hydrate a person. During World War II, sgushyonka was produced primarily for soldiers, but in the 1950s mass production for citizens began, and a canned dairy factory was built in the Krasnodar Region. Since that time canned sweet condensed milk has been kept in Russia’s state food reserve.
Russians who grew up in the Soviet Union remember the sweet taste of homemade desserts with sgushyonka. Housewives used it for many recipes, adding it to tea and coffee, making dough with it and using it as a filling for sweets. Most unusual, however, is that Soviet people also boiled it, and put it on pancakes, waffles and cookies.
There is a legend that boiled sweet condensed milk is the result of a trick by the son of the head of state procurement, Anastas Mikoyan (a founder of Soviet cuisine). For some unknown reason, the curious boy supposedly tried to boil the can, but accidentally blew it up. However, the taste of the caramelized brown mass amazed him and his father. Nevertheless, mass production of boiled sweet condensed milk only started in the 1990s. Before then, people boiled it at home.
How to boil sweet condensed milk
Today, you can find boiled sgushyonka in many Russian shops, but if you’d like to try the real taste of a Soviet childhood then prepare it yourself. First, you need a can of sweet condensed milk. Look carefully at its ingredients: it should contain only milk and sugar. Other ingredients won’t guarantee the desired result.
The best way is to boil the can(s) in a deep pan. Remove all labels and glue. Put can(s) into the pan and cover with cold water. Leave for two hours, and after boiling don’t forget to add more hot water. When ready, cool can in the pan for one hour, then open and enjoy the caramel taste! If you’re feeling confident, then try making one of the most favorite Soviet desserts: “nuts with boiled sweet condensed milk!”
‘Nuts’ with boiled sweet condensed milk
¼ cup of sugar
120 g of butter
1 ½ cup of flour
1 can of boiled sweet condensed milk
1. First, prepare the dough. Add sugar, then butter (it should be of ambient temperature), flour and baking powder (or 1/3 tsp of soda with lemon juice). Mix.
2. Whip egg whites and add to dough. Mix, and let dough sit in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Make small balls out of the dough (1.5-2 cm in diameter). One ball will turn into one half of the “nut.”
4. Take a pan for the “nuts” (or baking forms). Grease with butter (only for the first set of cookies) and heat. The better you heat, the better the cakes will be. Place the dough balls into the pan and fry each side 1.5 minutes.
5. Let cool for 15-20 minutes, and start to assemble the “nuts.” Place a teaspoon of boiled sweet condensed milk into each half and close them into a whole.
6. Serve “nuts” with tea or coffee. They can stay fresh in the fridge for a week.
If using any of Russia Beyond’s content, partly or in full, always provide an active hyperlink to the original material.
Get the week’s best stories straight to your inbox
Fragrant, soft, sweet – this is how homemade buns should be. The process of their preparation is simple, and the mood from such baking improves several times. Spoil your loved ones with buns with boiled condensed milk.
How to bake buns with condensed milk from yeast dough
It is necessary
- – 100 ml of milk,
- – 5 grams of yeast,
- – 1 teaspoon of sugar,
- – 3 tbsp. tablespoons of wheat flour.
- – 2 tbsp. tablespoons of sugar
- – 1, 5 cups of wheat flour,
- – 1 egg,
- – 50 grams of butter,
- – 3 tbsp. spoons of boiled condensed milk,
- – 1 tbsp. a spoonful of sunflower oil.
Heat the milk and dissolve 5 grams of yeast in it. Add a teaspoon of sugar and 3 tablespoons of flour, stir and leave warm for 15 minutes.
Melt 50 grams of butter, mix with dough. Add sugar, stir. Add one egg, stir.
Sift flour, mix with dough. Leave the dough warm for about an hour and a half.
Pound the dough, sprinkle with flour and roll into a layer. Use a mug or glass to cut out the circles.
Stretch the circles a little and put a teaspoon of boiled condensed milk in the middle. Instead of condensed milk, you can take any jam or preserves. Form buns.
Brush the parchment with sunflower oil. Spread out the buns and set them aside for half an hour. Then brush each with yolk.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Bake the buns for about half an hour. Transfer the finished baked goods to a dish, let cool slightly and serve with tea.
- Serves: –
- Prepare Time: –
- Cooking Time: –
- Calories: –
If you like curd donuts with boiled condensed milk, but have to refrain from fried ones, bake the donuts in the oven. Very fluffy airy dough and a simple filling of boiled condensed milk – the taste is familiar to everyone and dearly loved from childhood.
- Cottage cheese 15% – 200 g
- Eggs – 3 pcs.
- Sugar – 30 g
- Flour – 300 g (2 cups with a capacity of 250 ml)
- Baking dough – 10 g
- Refined vegetable oil – for working with dough and greasing a baking sheet Condensed milk boiled (for filling) – 200 g
- Powdered sugar (for sprinkling on donuts) – to taste
- Serves: –
- Prepare Time: –
- Cooking Time: –
- Calories: –
Cupcake – confectionery made of dough , baked in special molds, has received wide recognition among dessert admirers in many countries of the world. Sweet biscuit dough with a variety of fillings: nuts, raisins, dried fruits and chocolate chips, is considered the best delicacy for the beginning or end of the day.
Cupcake with boiled condensed milk – a warm and homemade dessert, prepared from easily accessible products, fell to the taste of many housewives. Consider the recipes of treats with various ingredients.
Cupcakes on yogurt with boiled condensed milk – recipe
- kefir-245 ml;
- Butter – 215 g;
- flour – 195 g;
- sugar – 455 g;
- egg – 2 pieces;
- soda – 5 g;
- boiled condensed milk – 100 g.
- Whisk the eggs with sugar until a lush whitish mass forms, pour in the heated oil and mix.
- Add kefir, soda, sifted flour and knead the dough.
- Lubricate the molds with oil and pour in a little dough, then place the filling out of the condensed milk and cover with a layer of dough again.
- Bake the cakes for half an hour at a temperature of 180 degrees.
Recipe for cottage cheese cakes with boiled condensed milk
- flour – 230 g;
- sugar – 95 g;
- oil – 95 g;
- egg – 3 pieces;
- cottage cheese – 235 g;
- baking powder – 5 g;
- boiled condensed milk – 95 g;
- concentrated milk – 50 ml.
- Rub the oil with sugar, beat in eggs, add milk and stir quickly.
- Enter the curd, passed through a sieve, flour and baking powder.
- Mix the ingredients and lay them in layers with layers: dough, condensed milk, dough.
- Cook the dessert for half an hour at a temperature of 180 degrees.
Chocolate muffins on sour cream with boiled condensed milk inside
- flour – 455 g;
- butter – 175 g;
- condensed milk – 85 g;
- egg – 4 pieces;
- black chocolate – 50 g;
- sugar – 210 g;
- sour cream – 185 ml;
- soda – 5 g.
- Whisk eggs with sugar.
- Melt the chocolate with a piece of butter and, stirring, enter into the egg mixture.
- The remaining oil is added to the remaining ingredients and mix with whisk. Pour sour cream, put flour and soda.
- Stir all the ingredients and lay them in layers with layers, alternating the dough with a layer of condensed milk.
- Bake at 180 degrees for a quarter of an hour.
“Nuts” and condensed milk biscuits are the most favorite and popular baby treat. Yes, and many adults will rarely give up such a yummy. We will tell you with joy how to make the right dough for nuts.
Recipe for the test for nuts with condensed milk
- margarine cream – 310 g;
- egg yolk – 3 pieces;
- sugar 205 g;
- flour – 955 g;
Frozen margarine rubbed and mixed with egg yolks. Next we pour in flour, sugar and slaked baking soda. We mix the mass with a whisk until it is uniform and, covering it with a towel, we remove it for half an hour in a warm dry place. At the end of the time, the dough for the nuts is ready and as soon as the hazel is heated, we turn to the preparation of the delicacies.
Shortbread dough for nuts
- margarine – 255 g;
- flour – 615 g;
- sour cream low-fat – 105 ml;
- sugar – 110 g;
Softened margarine put in a large bowl, add low-fat sour cream and mix thoroughly. Next, pour sugar, throw the slaked baking soda and pour in the flour. We knead the mass until a soft dough is obtained and immediately proceed to the baking of the nuts.
Dough for nuts with condensed milk
- butter – 105 g;
- mayonnaise light – 45 ml;
- egg – 95 g;
- sugar – 35 g;
- soda food – pinch;
- potato starch – 115 g;
- flour – 385 g.
Sugar is poured into a bowl, we break fresh eggs and carefully rub it with a fork. Then lay out the softened butter, mayonnaise, throw soda, starch and pour gradually flour. Mix the soft homogeneous dough and bake the nuts in the usual way.
Dough for nuts with boiled condensed milk
- butter – 155 g;
- sugar – 35 g;
- the egg is large – 75 g;
- honey lime liquid – 1 tbsp. a spoon;
- vinegar table or apple – 1 teaspoon;
- cognac – 15 ml;
- soda – pinch;
- flour – 3 tbsp.
Before you start cooking dough for nuts with condensed milk, soften a little butter. Then put in a cup, pour sugar and rub it well with a fork. Next, drive in fresh chicken eggs, introduce a little cognac and honey. Gradually pour in flour and put soda, which is extinguished with vinegar. We knead the dough with clean hands until uniform, and then wrap it in a film and remove it for about 30 minutes in a warm place. After that, we warm up the hazel well and turn to the baking delicacies.
Muffins made with boiled condensed milk have a pleasant caramel taste. Delicate and tasty, they cook quickly, even novice housewives can make such pastries.
Favorite by many muffins with boiled condensed milk have a pleasant caramel taste
Boiled condensed milk muffins recipe
– 200 g of wheat flour;
– 3 eggs;
– 100 g of butter;
– ½ can of boiled condensed milk;
– 150 ml of milk;
– 70 g granulated sugar;
– 1 tsp. baking powder for dough;
Remove the butter from the refrigerator beforehand to soften. Then whisk it with sugar until smooth. Add eggs and mix well. Pour in milk, stir in sifted wheat flour with baking powder and knead the dough. It should have a consistency similar to thick sour cream. Then sprinkle the silicone muffin molds with cold water and fill each 1/3 with the prepared dough, then add 1/2 -1 teaspoon of boiled condensed milk. Put about another tablespoon of dough on top. The molds must be filled in at ¾. If desired, top the muffins can be garnished with chopped kernels. Heat the oven to 200 ° C and place the muffins in it for 20-25 minutes. When they rise and brown, remove the baked goods from the oven, cool and then remove from the molds.
Recipe for muffins with cherries and boiled condensed milk
To prepare airy muffins with cherries and boiled condensed milk you will need:
– 200 g of butter;
– 200 g sour cream;
– 200 g of granulated sugar;
– 350 g of wheat flour;
– 4 eggs;
– ½ cans of boiled condensed milk;
– 800 g pitted cherries;
– icing sugar.
Beat the softened butter with granulated sugar with a mixer until smooth and fluffy. Add one egg at a time, whisking at high speed with a mixer after each until mixing is complete. Then reduce the speed, add sour cream and boiled condensed milk. Sift the flour with vanilla and baking powder and add to the buttered egg mass. Knead the dough to the consistency of thick sour cream and transfer it to a bowl. Wash the cherries thoroughly under running water, dry and remove the seeds. Add the berries prepared in this way to the dough and mix all the ingredients well. Grease one large or more small muffin tins with oil and pour the prepared dough into them, 2/3 full each. Flatten. Preheat the oven to 180 ° C and bake the muffins for 30-40 minutes. They should rise well and brown. Then cool the baked goods, transfer from the molds to a dish and sprinkle with powdered sugar on top.