Recipe for Baking Cod
If youre craving a delicious, healthy, and easy-to-make seafood dish, then baking cod is the perfect choice for you. Baking not only brings out the delicate flavors of cod but also helps retain its tenderness and moisture. In this article, we will walk you through a simple recipe for baking cod that will leave your taste buds craving for more.
To make this delectable baked cod, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 lbs cod fillets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
Step 1: Preparing the Cod
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking dish with parchment paper or lightly grease it.
- Rinse the cod fillets under cold water and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Place the cod fillets in the prepared baking dish, making sure they are not overlapping.
Step 2: Seasoning the Cod
- Drizzle the olive oil over the cod fillets, ensuring that they are evenly coated.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon over the fillets and sprinkle the minced garlic, dried oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper on top.
- Gently rub the seasonings onto the fillets, ensuring they are well coated.
Step 3: Baking the Cod
- Place the baking dish with the seasoned cod fillets in the preheated oven.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes or until the cod is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
- If you prefer a slightly browned and crispy top, you can turn on the broiler for the last 2-3 minutes of baking.
- Remove the cod from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
Step 4: Serving the Baked Cod
- Garnish the baked cod with freshly chopped parsley for an extra burst of freshness.
- Serve the cod fillets with your favorite side dishes, such as roasted vegetables or a freshly tossed salad.
- Squeeze a little more lemon juice over the fillets before enjoying them.
Baking cod provides a simple yet delicious way to enjoy this versatile and healthy seafood. With just a few basic ingredients and easy-to-follow steps, you can create a mouthwatering dish that will impress your family and friends. The delicate flavors, moist texture, and simplicity of this recipe make it a perfect choice for any occasion. So why wait? Try this recipe for baked cod today and treat your taste buds to a delightful dining experience.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can I use frozen cod for this recipe?
Absolutely! If using frozen cod, make sure to thaw it completely before following the recipe. Frozen cod may require a few extra minutes of baking time.
2. Can I substitute olive oil with a different type of oil?
Certainly! While olive oil adds a wonderful flavor, you can use any other mild-flavored oil of your choice, such as canola or vegetable oil.
3. Can I add other seasonings to the cod?
Of course! Feel free to experiment with additional seasonings to suit your taste preferences. Some popular options include dill, thyme, or even a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
4. How can I tell if the cod is cooked through?
The cod is fully cooked when it turns opaque and easily flakes with a fork. You can also check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer, which should read 145°F (63°C) for cooked fish.
5. Can I refrigerate the leftovers?
Yes, you can refrigerate any leftover baked cod in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat it gently in the oven or microwave before enjoying it again.